Porch pirates (and other annoyances)

Friends, it appears that we've been victimized by porch pirates!

I ordered an item from Colonel Littleton when I visited their shop last week (see my most recent blog post) and it was to be delivered yesterday.  For some reason I had forgotten about it but ran across the e-mailed shipping confirmation and clicked the tracking and the system indicated it had been delivered.

Since we don't enter the house through the front door, using the garage entry door instead, this happens, where we may not know that there's a package on the front porch.  So I stepped outside and looked on the welcome mat--nothing.  Checked behind the topiary we have out there--nothing there, either.  Looked on, under and around the bench that is positioned right next to the porch--not there either.

So I contacted FedEx, the shipping company that Colonel Littleton used, and, long story short, their system indicated it was delivered and placed by the front door several hours earlier.  I then worked with an online associate to establish a ticket to investigate, but they said that if it wasn't located in a few days they would recommend I work with the merchant to recover it from their end.

As an aside, I have to say that I was most impressed by FedEx and their professionalism.  I was promised a followup call within two hours, and barely ten minutes passed before I received this call.  So good on them.

Anyway, that made me think about other little stuff that happens here and there that's a real pain.  Like this morning, I went to the freezer to take out something from a large resealable bag.  Opened the bag and the resealing strip pulled loose from one side of the bag.  So now it won't reseal.  Seems to happen all the time.

My wife mentioned to me last week that she had not received a certain magazine to which she has subscribed for years.  And has not received a couple of issues, apparently, although it kind of crept up on both of us that it had not come.  I checked and the subscription is valid through January.  What gives?

Perhaps it was lost in the mail.  Here in my part of Lexington we essentially get mail about three days a week.  Couldn't tell you what days, because it seems to vary, but one day the box will be overflowing, and the next there will be one of those marketing cards addressed to "resident."  Along with that, anything oversized that is not rigid is generally smushed into our small mailbox (we have one of those community boxes that we share with fifteen other houses, so we're not talking about a lot of space).  Often these items are clothing, so that means that your new shirt or whatever is severely wrinkled when you open it.  Annoying.

Yesterday I was out in the field working and stopped at a McDonald's for an inexpensive meal.  Went to the kiosk to order (love those, versus the traditional standing-in-line ordering process, as it's easier and more accurate to order) and it wouldn't take my Apple Pay, and directed me to the counter.  Where there was one person working.  And a line.  By the time I paid the manager was walking around the restaurant looking for me, so we worked that out and when I opened my sandwich, the bun looked like it had been sat upon.  I ate it anyway, because speed is one of the things I value when traveling.

Guess we can't always get what we want, when and how we want it.  But when we do, it certainly is nice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right