Chugging along

Happy pre-Thanksgiving Monday to everyone.  I hope that you'll all have the chance to spend some quality time with those you love this week.

My wife and I will be on our own again this year, and plan to duplicate last year's plan, when we were in the same situation, by going to Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill for a lovely, traditional Thanksgiving dinner served in their historic Trustees' House.

But I digress.  Came here today to talk about auto maintenance, one of our least favorite subjects.

Once upon a time I followed the example set by my father, who was terrible at remembering to do even the most routine of car maintenance.  So he traded cars every couple or three years, but, back then, buying a car wasn't such a major investment.

I know how poorly he did the routine stuff, because I bought a car of his and paid the price, having to replace an engine block because it had run too long on less motor oil than required.  So, yes, I do what's necessary to keep a car going.

The new position I mentioned in my last post commenced last week, as I traveled to northern Indiana to start my orientation.  I have to go back next week as well, and then will embark on something closer to my normal schedule, which will involve a lot of regional travel.  I knew this going in.

But my car, a 2007 Honda Pilot, passed the 200,000 mile mark on the trip home, as I knew it would, so that got me thinking about what to do next.  My wife and I had already discussed the buy-another-car-or-fix-this-one dilemma, and concluded that putting some money into the Pilot was the better alternative.  Would be far different if I didn't absolutely love this car, even after all of the years and miles.

So tomorrow I'm taking the Pilot (which a friend christened The Tumbler, a nod to "Batman Begins" and the first of several more military-styled Batmobiles) to a local repair shop.  I know already that I'm going to have a new timing belt and spark plugs, and goodness knows what else he'll find.

Wish me luck.

And enjoy some turkey with your family and friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right