Oldies but goodies

Good Monday to everyone.

We're right in the middle of the steamy season here in central Kentucky.  It IS mid-July, after all, so not unexpected that we'd have uncomfortable heat and humidity right now.  I worked for a bit Saturday morning at an outdoor event (our company was exhibiting there) and because it had rained Friday evening, the air was heavy and I don't think my glasses became completely unfogged until about an hour after arrival!

Saturday afternoon and yesterday my wife and I attended our younger grandson's T-ball tournament in a nearby community, which has been a pretty constant feature of our recent weekends.  Anyway, the team had some time between games and my son and I went out and bought fried chicken and some other stuff at a nearby grocery store, as we had all had enough hot dogs and such.  Nice change of pace!

Anyway, while we were hanging out, my younger granddaughter got her dad's phone and started playing music (note:  it still amazes me that these kids, starting at five or six years old, can access a mobile phone or tablet with very little assistance, and make it do as they wish!), ending up with some Taylor Swift songs.  She asked me if I liked that and I said that she was a little young for me.  Ever inquisitive, she asked me what I meant, and I told her that she's very talented but that people my age often don't enjoy her style of music as much as younger folks do.  "Oh," she proclaimed, "like old music!"  Riiiiiight.

I make jokes about not liking any musical performer who's younger than I am, and that's still pretty true.  The introduction of the afore-mentioned Beatles channel on satellite radio affirms that even more, as that's almost always on in the car, at least for the moment.

Interestingly, I sit here at the computer right now and I'm listening to Neil Diamond's original concert recording "Hot August Night," which I believe was recorded in 1972.  Low-tech, and the first of MANY concert albums Diamond has released.  I hear to this day that he is still a great live performer, one of the few that I would have liked to have seen and have not.

I don't think it's quite true of movies, but recently, over several days, I watched the John Wayne movie "The Cowboys," which depicts The Duke having to use young boys to help him with his cattle drive.  It was made in 1972, when Wayne was aging but was still most definitely The Duke.  They don't make them like John Wayne anymore, you know.

My wife and I explored a few of our movies over the last week (no baseball for about a week, you know, due to the All-Star break) and wound up watching four different movies featuring Russell Crowe.  Crowe has been recognized for some of his work, including some of those films we watched, "Noah," "Gladiator," "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" and "Robin Hood."  Crowe seems to be settling into middle age, taking more character-oriented parts.  It's my understanding that he plays Dr. Jekyll in the latest incarnation of "The Mummy," which came and went before we saw it (monster movies are a tough sell with my wife as well).

I have to say that I don't feel the same connection with old television shows as I do with music, in particular.  I enjoy old "Star Trek" episodes and still enjoy watching "The West Wing," which left the air some years ago.

Circling back to the start of this ramble, my granddaughter also reminded me that my birthday is this week, and we began to talk about how old I am.  When she finally guessed it right, she crinkled her nose and said "Really?"

That's kind of the way I feel.  I'll be 57 on Thursday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

63 (and counting!)

Thankful every day