Monday, Monday

Sitting in my office on this sunny Monday morning, thankful that only a handful of friends and acquaintances were caught up in Hurricane Irene's path.  That said, I hope the same for you.

Is it me, or was there a LOT of news coverage paid to this impending/occuring/passing disaster?  I suppose after Katrina, no one will ignore or take lightly a natural force like a hurricane again, but when the major networks have their weeknight anchors on duty on a Sunday afternoon and Matt Lauer is working on the Today set at 5:00 AM on a Saturday, you know it's a big deal.  Made bigger by its impact on New York, Washington, Boston and Philadelphia, to be sure.

The hurricane also had some effect on my Cincinnati Reds.  Their opponents this week (tonight through Thursday afternoon, when my son and I will be in attendance) are the Philadelphia Phillies, who postponed their Saturday and Sunday games due to the weather and spent the weekend hanging out in Cincinnati.  So while the Reds played a 14-inning affair on their way to a series sweep against Washington this weekend, the Phils were chilling and resting their bullpen.  Not that they'll need much bullpen help, with their insanely great starting pitching.

Change of subject....

Did you happen to notice the news last week that Apple CEO Steve Jobs is stepping aside, presumably due to health reasons?  I have a number of wonderful Apple product, am a complete convert to Mac (does anyone actually say "Macintosh" anymore?) computing (even for work, no mean feat in the security-laden environment in which I work) and am just waiting for them to get Apple TV right to take that plunge as well.  Jobs is not a techie but rather an ardent fan of great design with an uncanny ability, most of the time, to divine what people will want to buy.  And find that they cannot live without, strangely enough.  I've read that he's not the easiest guy in the world to work with or for, but he has always enjoyed a high level of loyalty among senior staff.

Oh, and did you know that he was the financial muscle behind Pixar, the animation studio?  Yep, his too.  Almost unfair to be that successful in two totally unrelated walks of life.

I had a strange weekend, as my wife went out of town to visit her mother in western Kentucky, leaving me to the momentary life of a bachelor Friday afternoon through yesterday.  Played golf Saturday morning, played well enough for thirteen holes but forgettably the rest of the way.  Watched a lot of baseball.  Ate some stuff I don't normally (and shouldn't really) eat.  Took care of a couple of honey-do projects (cross the carpet-cleaning off the list for now, thanks) and started planning a couple more.

But I definitely missed my wife, as we really enjoy our weekends.

This will be short work week for me, as I'm seizing the opportunity for a five-day weekend by taking time off Thursday and Friday.  Reds on Thursday with my son (AKA "The Boy," longtime holdover from when he was, well, a boy), then who knows on Friday?  It's the Boy's birthday, so something good will probably happen.  Weekend will probably see me commence to painting, so to speak, and I have a golf game Monday morning.

Anyway, like it or not, another week is underway, so try to make it a good one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Thankful every day