Rolled into one

Good Monday morning, friends.  We're experiencing some temperate weather here in central Kentucky lately, which is more than I can say for my friends out west, where wildfires are raging in numerous locations.  If you're near any of those spots, please be safe!

Several different things to note this morning, so forgive me if I jump a little too rapidly from topic to topic.

First, my wife and I went to a movie yesterday, which we now do about twice a year.  Went to see the latest "Mission: Impossible" picture, starring the never-aging Tom Cruise.  As an aside, whomever is doing Tom's aesthetic work is doing a great job!

Anyway, without going into any detail, this was a great action/adventure film, full of nice plot twists and great action sequences.  The advance media articles noted in great detail what lengths Cruise will go to for realism, as he's built that expectation among his fans, and I have to say, what appears in these movies is among the best of this genre.  The remaining cast members, whether holdovers from previous installments or new entrants like Henry Cavill (you know, Superman!), all contribute nicely, but it's definitely Tom's show and, well, it shows.

Saw previews for a number of forgettable action flicks beforehand, which is what you'd expect before a feature of this type.

We went to the nearby Movie Tavern, which has comfy seats that you can reserve in advance and a full menu, although we usually pick up some candy to take with us and buy drinks and popcorn.  Theater was somewhat crowded and there was a youngish couple to my left, but other than the low whispering that they constantly did throughout the movie, everyone seemed to behave.  Our best move was to obtain seats in the middle of a row, so that people weren't continually passing by.

Saturday I played golf with a friend for the first time in quite a while.  Beautiful day, but this was only the third time I'd hit the links this year, so my game is, well, rusty.

Anyway, I hit a ball from one side of what I thought was a dry stream bed to the other, and asked my friend if he thought I could cross safely.  We agreed I probably could and I stepped forward, but before I realized, I was both-ankles-deep in the soft black mud just below the grass!  Yuck!

As any good golfer would, I soldiered on, as this wasn't a lot different than getting caught in the rain, once I wiped the majority of the muck from my shoes.  Unfortunately, when I returned home later that day and discarded the socks and shoelaces, I noticed that the mud/water blend had soaked the tongues of the shoes all the way through.  So decided these would need to be replaced, since they'd probably never come clean.

That hole yielded a terrible score, as one would expect, but I played a steady round after that, so that was a good improvement.

My wife and I went out for some really good Mexican food that evening, and afterward found ourselves at a local sporting goods store.  I (well, actually my wife) found some inexpensive spikeless golf shoes to replace those I had soiled and bought new towels to replace my ten-year-old ones, one of which was hopelessly stained by the afore-mentioned mud.

I can't recall if I've mentioned, but we came to a decision recently and have elected to reclaim our dining room for the stated purpose, which means my office will be moving to another part of the house.  We have a three bedroom house, and there's only two of us, but for some reason had arranged both of the extra bedrooms as just that, bedrooms.  So I'll be stealing space in one of those rooms for a smaller desk and adjacent drawer unit (which I just assembled last night!), since I have a file cabinet in the garage.  Have to sell my large wooden office furniture to complete this process, since it won't fit anywhere else (and would not go up the stairs without removing a window, I don't think!).  Stay tuned on that.

On the evening of my birthday two Fridays ago we had severe storms move through our area, and we were actually without power for a couple of hours.  Our son and his family didn't have electricity for twelve hours, and I heard that in a neighboring county that numerous people went several days before service was restored.

I mention this because as I was writing this I was interrupted by a very momentary outage, which will cause more inconvenience in resetting clocks than anything.

I suppose after this big weekend I need to take it easy, but it's back to work today for me, and probably for you as well.  Hope you have a good day and a good week.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

Thankful every day