Finding our happy place

Good Thursday morning, friends!

My schedule has been so haphazard lately that I really don't have any kind of pattern of when I find time to post, so I hope that this hasn't been an issue for any of you super-organized types out there.

Interesting times we're living in within these United States.  We have one active war, two other conflicts in which we're involved overseas, humanitarian disasters in Texas, Florida and now Puerto Rico and yet our leader seems obsessed with petty grievances with other politicians and with professional athletes electing not to stand for the National Anthem before their games or to visit the White House.

This same leader is being investigated by no fewer than four congressional committees and a special counsel for, well, a lot of things.

Talk about leadership.

Closer to my home we have the former basketball coach at the University of Kentucky, now the head coach at in-state rival Louisville, having been effectively fired yesterday over the school's identification (as "University-6") in an FBI investigation into bribery of prospective student-athletes.  This is the coach who is credited with resurrecting Kentucky basketball following its own shameful scandal some thirty years ago.

On the flipside, Kentucky's current coach has staged various events lately that raised money for hurricane victims a considerable distance from home.

We also have a state government retirement and pension system that is absolutely broke and will require billions of dollars to put right, while our governor and attorney general, who are of opposite political parties, cannot agree on anything regarding the pension or otherwise.

Specifically at my house all is well, thanks, so that's what I try to keep in mind right now.  Not much we can control outside of our immediate view, and even then control is a bit of an illusion.  Our family is all well, we'll be visited by our daughter and her family in the next few days, and later this year we'll welcome another grandchild to our family.

So that's not so bad, when put into the proper perspective.

I've had friends mention that they cut off political news from their Twitter feeds (and who's happy about doubling the number of characters that users can include in a tweet?) and I'm not quite ready to do that....to me it's important to know what's going on, and sometimes finding out via Twitter is a little quicker than looking through more traditional sources.

I also have heard of people who simply don't watch the news, that it's too depressing.  I'd echo my own thoughts from above.  Important to know what's happening.

But perspective seems to be the key, so I'm going to do my best to keep everything in its proper place.  And I'm sure that you will, too.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Thankful every day