21st century consumerism

Good Tuesday morning....and, yes, I actually typed "Monday" before catching my own error.

I had the pleasure of playing golf with some friends yesterday.  One is a friend through golf whom I had not seen in some time, the others I see regularly.  Somewhere along the way through our time together our conversation turned to golf courses in our home area that are no longer in operation.  We collectively agreed that those who were now out of business had flaws and issues that likely accelerated the circumstances that led to them ending their operations.

The comments continued, and we began to collectively name restaurants and stores that have left the scene over the past few months.  It's a longer and longer list, and while new shopping areas open frequently, many bringing with them new retail and dining choices, some of the old stalwarts continue to leave.

For instance, here in Lexington we once had THREE K-Mart stores.  I was just saying to a friend of mine that when I was a kid, growing up in neighboring Paris, KY, the big treat was a chance to go to Lexington to K-Mart and then maybe eat at McDonald's!

That K-Mart store has been out of business for quite some time, and the building now houses a Goodwill thrift store and an operations unit for the local telephone company.  The one that opened last went out of business several years ago, and is now the home of a Burlington Coat Factory store (and, no, they don't make coats there, if you're not familiar with the brand).  The third and last one standing is on Nicholasville Road, a major thoroughfare and retail corridor.  Yet it's set to close by year's end.

As I mentioned, restaurants are a big part of this process, too.  I was never a huge fan of Applebee's, but others apparently were for a long time, as opening an Applebee's location was often a sure bet for success.  Now, two have closed within a few months of each other.  The original Logan's Roadhouse (not just for Lexington, but the entire chain) is now shuttered.  We had not patronized that place in a long time, either, but it's still a little strange to see it happen.

Newer restaurants come and go as well.  There's a condo development not far from the University of Kentucky campus that formerly housed a Firehouse Subs, Jamba Juice and Smashburger.  All three closed at one point or another, although the Jamba Juice location reopened not long ago.  The Firehouse spot was one my wife and I enjoyed, and they always seemed to do steady, if not spectacular, business.  No more.

I've read recently, as you likely have, that J.C. Penney and Macy's are both closing stores at a noticeable pace.  Both of those outlets still exist here.  A Rite Aid Pharmacy closed not long ago, one that never seemed busy but had been in its former location for what seemed forever.  Yet Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreen's have all opened pharmacies (mostly on busy corners) in significant numbers over the past few years.

And there has for some reason been a proliferation of mattress stores here in our area.  Why?  Someone in the local media postulated that buying a mattress is an "impulse" buy.  Really?  I'd just be driving down the road and decide "it's time to get a new mattress?"  I don't know, but to me it seems deciding to buy a candy bar is an impulse purchase.  Buying a mattress requires a little more thought.

I recently did something I've never done--buy something from someone who advertised on Craigslist.    I have been the Craigslist seller countless times, but for the first time, I bought something that was advertised.  My new job required the storage and organization of a pretty wide variety of printed materials, so needed a place to keep all of that.  So I bought a five-drawer lateral file cabinet from a very nice woman who's a work-at-home accountant.  Her husband and I loaded it into my SUV and it's in my garage as I write this.  That fit the primary qualification--something of the type that would be easy to clean if purchased from someone else.  That also explains why I would never buy upholstered furniture that way.

Yet I advertised something recently and a respondent to my advertisement actually asked me if I would "deliver" the item.  I responded that I would meet him in a public place, but he has yet to get back with me, as I assume he wants the Amazon treatment.  You know, order it, agree to pay the price, and have it on your doorstep.

Perhaps that's what's happening with retail.  And Amazon can buy Whole Foods but I can't imagine going there more because they sell a few things cheaply.  And I can buy an Alexa while I'm there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Thankful every day