And so it goes

Good Monday morning, everyone.  Found a few quiet minutes to collect my thoughts and commit them to this space.

Last week was a pretty good week, followed by a good weekend.  We had unseasonably cool weather in central Kentucky until the last couple of days, and even got a little rain over the weekend.

I did not take advantage of this nice weather by playing golf, as I am fighting my way through a sore shoulder that arose from a pretty serious stiff neck almost two weeks ago.  This shoulder issue has flared up a couple of times in the past, but not to this extent.  It is a dull ache during most of my waking hours, but when I go to bed, it REALLY begins to be bothersome.  So far have been taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatories and applying topical stuff like Icy Hot to treat the symptoms.  Found something a little more powerful yesterday that helped, but it's a bit messy to use during a workday.

In case any of you are amateur doctors or physical therapists, most of the pain is on the outside of my shoulder, in the upper part of my arm.  Internet research indicates this might be related to a rotator cuff inflammation, but hard to say.  It just hurts, sometimes a lot.

Someone else who's hurting are my Cincinnati Reds, who have won a grand total of ten games in their last 33.  That's not going to put any team in a good place, and the Reds were already near the cellar of their division when this started.  The team appears to already be in rebuilding mode, and since all of the starting pitchers are rookies with limited major league experience, this does not look to get better anytime soon.  I suppose the good news is that the season only has about a month to go, and the Reds are still attracting fans to their ballpark despite their recent poor results.

Again last week we saw more senseless tragedies by people with guns.  I honestly cannot believe that something cannot be done to prevent this stuff from happening over and over and over.  And I'm not about to imply that I know better than the authorities in the states where these events occurred.  But there has to be a better way to keep people with emotional issues from being armed.

I heard that the Video Music Awards were last night.  They still have those?

Instead, my wife and I were watching a pretty amazing 2010 concert that celebrated the 25th anniversary of the first production of the musical "Les Miserables."  The production featured performers in costume throughout who sort of acted out their parts.  Stunning vocal talent by all who participated, especially by a performer named Alfie Boe, who is reported to be taking over the part of Jean Valjean in the current Broadway production of this play.  The most compelling part of this was when the concert was over, and the performers onstage by many members of the original 1985 cast, and some of these performers sang with their more contemporary counterparts.

If you had told me before I saw the movie version of this that I would have even a passing interest in a musical based on a book about the French Revolution, I would have questioned your sanity.

Gotta get back to work.  Have a good week!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Thankful every day