Change of plans

Happy Monday to all....I was scheduled to be gone for the day in meetings about three hours southeast of here, but due to an illness among my meeting group, here I am.

Lucky, too.  My, but it's COLD here today!  Temperature still in the 20s, lower if one factors in the wind chill.  I was actually on my way out of town for my meeting today when I learned it was being postponed, so I was out among 'em in the early part of the morning.  Encountered a little black ice along the way....for the uninitiated, that's when there's a slick spot that blends into dark pavement so well that you cannot SEE that it's icy and slick, and often don't know until it's too late.  Anyway, because it was early there were fewer cars out, so this little issue didn't cause me any problems.

One complication that required a little more planning than usual this morning was that our garage door developed a problem over the weekend.  My wife and I were out a good part of the day on Saturday, into the early evening, and when we returned home I pressed the garage remote button on my car and the garage door went up as usual.  But there were a couple of ominous noises along the way, and when I got out of the car, I was confronted with a thin cable hanging loosely from the garage door track.  Turns out that was part of the reel assembly that helps keep the door from being too hard to raise and lower.  The springs that control the tension of those reels (the reel on the other side was unspooled, too) was broken on each side, so that meant a professional service call.

Sunday morning I used the garage door opener to raise the door; it went up noisily and I backed my car out, knowing we'd need to run an errand or two throughout the day and I didn't want to risk having my car trapped in the garage for my planned early departure today.  We lowered the door, again using the opener, and it went down with about as much racket as when we raised it.

Long story short, the repairman came first thing this morning (lucky, as he had a service call scheduled elsewhere in the area and our location was literally on his way there) and presented me a fairly modest bill for parts and service.  You can barely hear the thing open and close now.

Isn't it nice when things work out?

Expanding on my thoughts last week, I still don't have a favorite in this week's Super Bowl.  Looking forward to the commercials (they never have a bad game, do they?) and to see what the halftime show will be like.  I actually like Katy Perry, as it's my belief she can actually sing and is not reliant on endless studio tricks to sound decent.  Last year's act, Bruno Mars, exceeded my expectations quite a bit, so it might be two good ones in a row.

No idea what food we may serve.  A baked bean treatment to "honor" Boston might be part of it.  The only distinctive Seattle food/drink thing I can think of is coffee, which is probably pretty shallow of me.  If you have worthwhile ideas to share, help me out.

I have to attend organizational meetings for work the next couple of days.  I don't often reference my job here, so suffice it to say that things are changing and we'll just have to see where that leads.  I have a feeling that I know...

And with that, I should get back to work.  Have a good week!  And if you're in the path of the cold and snow and ice, stay safe and WARM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Thankful every day