As we begin 2015...

Greetings to one and all and a very happy new year!

I hope 2014 was good for you and that 2015 will be even better.  I didn't stop by to write about what did or didn't go well for me in the past year.  There could be a lot of details, good and not so much, but the important thing is that I am blessed with a healthy, happy family and that's what truly matters!

Nothing in particular is on my mind this morning, although I had a few stray thoughts that I found interesting.  For instance, I read an article online about someone who has kept his America Online (AOL to those who are into the whole brevity thing) e-mail address active for MANY years, and how he has to explain to many that he is not, in fact, a caveman who refuses to join us here in the early 21st century.

That made me think of how I first used a computer to get online, first e-mail addresses and so on.  I remember making the investment in Prodigy, which was, like AOL and CompuServe, a dial-up service where you essentially joined their community for e-mail, news, message boards and such.  Prodigy, if I remember right, was a joint venture between Sears and IBM, and at some point was included if you bought an IBM consumer-grade computer.  I bought it outright and then got an upgrade when I purchased a PS/1 a number of years ago, probably the early to mid 90's.  My main use was e-mail and message boards, until the entire World Wide Web (remember when the Internet was called that more commonly?) became more readily available.  But I liked it, I remember, although I didn't have major e-mail anticipation cold sweats like Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan did in "You've Got Mail."  Still like that movie, by the way.

I just bought a new computer before Christmas, and, no, I didn't really need it, but have been struggling with neck and shoulder problems, and exploring options with a large desktop monitor turned into this computer and all that it could do pretty quickly.  Not complaining, of course, and I am enjoying playing with it.  It's another Mac, this time a desktop model with a large, high-resolution screen.  It and my progressive lens glasses continue to work to get acquainted, and I write this with its razor-sharp images enlarged significantly.

I have been fighting this for some time, as I have been subconsciously adopting a viewing position where I lean forward and then tilt my head backward, in order to see through the reading portion of my glasses.  This didn't really become an issue until I took my current job, which requires significant amounts of work creating and culling data from spreadsheets.

My original solution was to enlarge the type size on each, and that helped, but not as much as I had hoped.  I've also experimented with raising my seat height and will continue to adjust.  Our optician says that I could try simple magnifying glasses for computer work only, but I'd rather avoid that if possible, as I don't want to have to change glasses when I get up from my desk to go to the bathroom, etc.

I even tried a product that essentially puts a reading magnification into the UPPER part of the progressive lenses, but that didn't fit very well and caused some headaches in a short amount of usage.  Talk about a first world problem....but open to any suggestions my readers may have.

Enjoy your day off, if you have one today!  Happy new year!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

63 (and counting!)