Master of the house

Sorry, my wife and I have become real fans of "Les Miserables" in the past few months, and that song (the only real comic relief in the play/film) has been rolling around in my head for a while.....

Appreciate the increase in page views recently.  I hope that means that folks are finding this space to be amusing and possibly even informative at times, though that's not the main purpose of this blog.  I welcome comments at all times, so if you have a suggestion, don't be bashful.

I also want to thank those who provided some direct reaction to my most recent post, which was largely a series of rants about this and that.  I try not to "go off" here very often, but sometimes it helps and I'm glad to hear that folks were supportive!

I didn't travel this week, thankfully, had a family issue to attend to.  Things are getting back to normal now, which means I hit the road once again next Tuesday for a series of three weeks of business travel. Oh, boy, cannot wait.  And the funny thing is that my wife and I watched "United 93" last night.  If you're not familar, this concerns the plane which was hijacked on 9/11 but was overtaken by a group of passengers before it could reach its destination.  Interesting movie, but not one that a frequent traveler should watch just before a trip.  It was my second time seeing it, as I had rented it (and watched it on a plane, so go figure) not long after it came out a few years ago.

Speaking of movies, it will be time pretty soon for the summer movie season.  I can only think of a handful that I feel that I must see, and they include "Iron Man 3" and "Man of Steel."  The latter is yet another reboot of the Superman franchise.  And I understand that it deals realistically with the idea of what we as a society would do if an alien with enormous powers suddenly appeared in our midst and said, "I'm here to help."  Interesting take on a very old and traditional story.  Not much else appears to be a must-see, at least not that I can think of.

My Reds were clicking along in the first week of the season, having won four of six, then they went to St. Louis to face the hated Cardinals.  The Reds have a long history of futility in that city, and earlier this week managed to win the first game, then lose the next two by lopsided scores.  Still, I like how the team is playing to this point, they have "the look of eagles," as old John McGraw once said of his New York Giants team.

I'm glad folks in Washington appear to be less interested in partisan politics and more in actually doing something for a change, but I hope I haven't spoken too soon.  It looks like there will be actual debate and a vote on some new gun controls and, sometime later, immigration reform, and whichever side of these issues you're on, you have to agree with me that the purpose of our Congress is to propose, discuss and vote on laws, and not simply hide behind procedural tricks to maintain the status quo.

I'll close with a quick comment on North Korea.  Why is it that dictators from seemingly small and less powerful countries so often are the ones who cause the most problems for the rest of the world?  The young "leader" of that country is the latest in a long line of these.  Hopefully nothing adverse comes of his efforts to legitimize his country on the world stage.

And with that, I bid you a good day and a better weekend.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

63 (and counting!)

Thankful every day