Stuff

I'm running out of subject lines for these catch-all posts....so excuse my lack of creativity. Nothing in particular to post about but a few things to note....

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? We are at our house, and for the life of me, I still haven't a clue of how NBC determines what its audience wants to see or when to televise any event. For instance, they televised over an hour of recorded ski jumping last night in prime time. Admittedly, if you're around my age and you used to see this sport only on ABC's "Wide World of Sports" way back when, you probably remember spectacular crashes more than notable athletic achievement in this event. Yet, there it was last night, and to be fair, no one was injured, which was a good thing, but it was so BORING. And my wife is an early riser due to her work schedule, so several times during the Games she's had to give it up before her preferred competitors (ice dancers, skiers, skaters, etc.) were shown performing. I'm certain the time difference has something to do with the scheduling but, realistically, most folks won't stay up past midnight to see certain athletes do their thing. At least we won't.

I didn't interrupt my workday last week to view Tiger Woods' confessional live, but I admit I did watch it after the fact. Typical of Tiger....controlled environment, no questions from anyone, and then he's off, presumably back to rehab of some sort. As a columnist on ESPN.com opined just after Tiger's appearance, I'll be happier when Tiger returns to doing something I like watching him do....play golf. Until then, it's all media frenzy coupled with speculation and never-weres jockeying for media attention via representation by a famous feminist attorney (why do "victims" so often feel they need representation?).

"Forrest Gump" has been shown several times this week on American Movie Classics (which is using more and more loose definitions of "classic" in the last few years) and I have to admit I've sneaked a few peeks here and there. It's kind of an iconic movie, in that there's not been much like it before or since, and it's sort of a travelogue of what's happened during my lifetime. The music, in particular, set the stage for various points in history throughout the film and Tom Hanks is, as usual, very good in this role. I would think it's hard for intelligent people to act stupid for the sake of art, but Tom pulls it off quite believably here.

My company recently decided to discontinue access to company e-mail from non-company-issued wireless devices, so I now have two mobile phones. And in my effort to streamline as much as possible, I decided to forward my old (personal) number to my new company-issued device, thus creating confusion for family and friends when I make or return calls to them. I suppose I could carry both phones, but that seems a bit much, plus it would make my pants sag in an unwelcome fashion, and no one wants that. Will continue tweaking my approach.

Our weather here in central Kentucky was wonderful over the weekend, so much so that I actually grilled real food outdoors on Sunday. It's been progressively cooler since then, but that's not unexpected, as it is February....

So, how's that for an unconnected set of comments?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

Something to think about