Closet geeks, unite

I admit it, I'm something of a gadget geek. Always have been, as a matter of fact.

I'm not sure where this started, but when I was a kid I wanted our family to have a TV with remote control in the worst way. My late father used to laugh when my brothers and I would lobby for a remote control, saying that he didn't need that as long as he had us!

As a teen and an avid music lover I got very tired of having to wait my turn to get access to the family stereo, so after I got an after-school job my first purchase, naturally, was my own stereo, to which I added over the years. To show you how much that stereo meant to me, I kept the components until about eighteen months ago. And I'll be 50 next year, for those who are keeping score.

I always wanted a good stereo in my cars, too, and until I was able to buy cars with decent built-in stereo (with tape and eventually CD) capabilities, I always added the best aftermarket unit I could afford. I have memories, not so fond, of spending long afternoons and evenings alone or with friends struggling to figure out how to connect an add-on radio or tape deck to my car-of-the-moment. And despite not having been brought up with any particular emphasis on being handy, I was always successful.

Now, that's not to say that I am always 100% cutting edge. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. And while I don't rely on others to change the channel (though I could have when my kids were younger), I am guilty of not getting with the program in certain ways. I was very slow to switch from 8-track tapes to cassettes, and from cassettes to CDs. My son now has a rather large collection of what were my cassettes, collected over twenty or so years. And when I jettisoned my ancient stereo equipment recently, along with it I sold off my record collection, with some of the titles dating back thirty-five years or more.

I didn't have a cellphone until an employer required me to have one and agreed to pay for service. I was very late in getting an iPod, too, but had been playing around with digital music for a while. I don't have caller ID on my land-line phone (yes, we still have one), but like it very much on my cellphone account.

Now, on the subject of TVs, my wife and I very much enjoy the home theater experience and have made a variety of investments in that regard. Our current setup includes a 52 inch LCD HDTV, a Blu-Ray high-definition disc player and a Bose sound system. Not like going to the movies, but the popcorn's a lot cheaper and the seats are considerably more comfortable.

And I'm writing this entry not on any old Windows PC but on a Mac, which I very much wanted for many years and am elated with it nearly two years after its purchase.

Technology is our friend, and I remind myself all the time that all of these devices are here to improve our lives. Although it doesn't always seem that way......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

63 (and counting!)