They were right

Happy Monday, friends!  Here in Kentucky, the locals are celebrating that it's Derby Week, which is code for non-Louisville residents to steer clear of that city.  Lots going on this week, and if you're unfamiliar with what happens where, well, you could find yourself in a lot of unexpected traffic!

I come to you with a bit of an update to my last post about music appreciation while working.  If you remember, I mentioned that I have a Sonos One SL wi-fi speaker on my desk.  And that I was contemplating getting a pair of the new Era 100 speakers that are the One's replacement.

As a Sonos user of several years, I find some utility in receiving their e-mails now and then, although a great many of their products are aimed at the home theater market, where I don't really have a stake (but we'll address that another time).

A message from Sonos proclaimed a great savings event on refurbished Sonos equipment.  And one such item that they were offering at a substantial discount over its price when new was the aforementioned One SL (by the way, the "SL" refers to not having microphones through which to communicate with Alexa or other voice controls--not into that personally).  I won't mention what I paid, but it is the exact twin of the one I already had.

Saw that, did some research, mostly on Reddit and other user-comment-driven websites, and saw universal encouragement to go for it, that a pair of any Sonos speakers would outweigh the potential benefits of any single speaker.  And this was really a no brainer, since I already had the first of the pair.

The refurbished unit arrived Friday afternoon.  It was packaged as though it was new, in the appropriate carton, and was clean and without a single mark on it.  As is Sonos' trademark, it took me about three minutes to connect it to my Sonos "system" and my home wi-fi, and another few minutes to run through the Trueplay tuning process.

I'm listening to Hans Zimmer's outstanding score for the sci-fi movie "Interstellar" right now.  Other than in my car, I had not heard this music on stereo speakers.  It's revelatory!  By the way, I calculated that it's been over seven years since I had actual STEREO speakers on my desk, and as much as I love music, it's more than a little embarrassing that I had gone this long with a single mono speaker!

So I suppose the moral of this story is that if you have one good thing, even it the manufacturer has stopped making it, you might be able to double your pleasure by getting a second version of that thing!

I did!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest