Sugar, sugar

Good Monday morning, everyone!  Note that I waited until 10:05 AM EDT to say that!

Some weeks ago I received some alarming news in my annual bloodwork that I do for my cardiologist.  In addition to cholesterol numbers that are crucial to that aspect of my health, he orders a variety of other standard tests, and one of them captures a patient's glucose level.

I think I'm in my fourth year with this cardiologist (my former doctor retired) and he routinely orders these additional tests.  My glucose level indicated that I was in pre-diabetic range for the last several years, which was not a great surprise, since both of my parents were diabetic.  But this year's glucose number was significantly elevated and he advised me to seek care with a provider who could address my newly identified condition.

I should add that my former general practitioner had also retired several years ago, and since my cardiologist prescribes all of my medications, I really didn't have much need of a primary care provider.  Until now, of course.

So I started some research as to which providers in the health system of this cardiology practice was open to new patient, and found some options.  I reviewed the patient reviews that each had posted and settled on one soon thereafter and scheduled an initial visit.

That occurred in early May, and she impressed me by having reviewed my chart to the extent that she also recognized my health history, specifically my earlier cardiac issues.  So that was a comfortable starting point, she understood my prior experience and offered some thoughts as well as an initial prescription of what apparently is the standard starting medicine for those newly diagnoses with type II diabetes.

This practitioner also referred me to diabetes education and I eventually went for about an hour of meetings with a nurse and a dietitian.  This was really helpful, as I initially went way overboard in cutting carbohydrates from my diet.  The two clinicians separately advised that I limit, but not eliminate, carbs from my normal consumption, stating flatly that those who apply a severely low-carb approach often lack energy and have other problems.

So since then I've been taking my blood glucose level every morning, noting the results and pondering why it's higher or lower some mornings than others, but also remembering that the A1C metric that is standard for diabetes treatment is itself an average.  I've made some adjustments in what I eat at mealtime and for snacks.  Whole grain foods are a big help and as the dietitian stated, it's important to think of the whole meal's carb content and not just one element of that meal.

I feel good, have lost some weight and have not experienced any side effects from the medicine, which my new nurse practitioner had noted happens to some patients.  

So this is my new normal, and now that I have begun my 63rd trip around the sun, it will be for the foreseeable future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right