That’s how it goes

Good Wednesday morning, everyone.  I write this morning from Chattanooga, Tennessee, where my business travels have brought me.

And one thing that is an enduring feature of traveling for work is that your travels may go smoothly overall, but the trips are always populated by an almost equal number of good and bad things that happen along the way.

For instance, our part of the world has had too much rain lately, as news reports from eastern Kentucky have shown.  So I am reluctant to complain too much about weather, but it is a factor in car travel and when you’re in sales, you nearly always have your hands full when you enter an account’s premises.

So I am not a fan of umbrellas for that reason, but that preference does have its drawbacks, namely having to wait out heavy rain before returning to the car.  That did not happen yesterday but after my last call I decided to stop somewhere for an early dinner, but stayed in the car to let an absolutely torrential rain pass.  Glad I did and that I had the time.

I’m staying in a hotel here (just one night) that was new to me and was told when I checked in yesterday that they offer breakfast but that there’s a cost.  So instead I decided to try a coffee shop that was a short walk.  Got my coffee and a croissant and started back.  The coffee was REALLY hot but I managed.  Until I entered the elevator.  I think I squeezed the lid too much and it popped off, sending nuclear hot coffee flying!

Got a little on my shoes but otherwise no damage done…except to my pride.

Yesterday on my way here I conducted some business along the way, stopping in Knoxville, TN.  Finished that and confirmed my appointment here in Chattanooga, so got back on the road and drove until I was out of the Knoxville area.  Stopped by the interstate at a fast food place and while I ate I noticed an employee who was talking with people at an adjacent table.  The diners were regulars and knew her and they had some comfortable banter.  

Then I realized that this woman, who is probably in her late forties, spoke with some difficulty, so likely has some sort of disability.  By this time the group left and she came by my table, said hello and offered to clear my tray for me.  I smiled and thanked her and she said, “Oh, I don’t mind at all!”  Service with a smile.

I’m on the road the rest of the week so I’m sure there’ll be more such anecdotes.  I hope so, since it comes with the territory.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right