62 and a day

Good afternoon to you....hope it's not too hot where you are.

I'm kidding, of course.  Most of modern civilization is suffering from a major heat wave (or heat DOME, as weather people on television have christened this).  Our power is on and the A/C is working, so we're OK for now.

For all of you keeping score, and I bet there are a few, yesterday was my 62nd birthday.  Which means I need to change my profile, among other things.  And I took the day off work, which I don't always do.

Last year I saw my cardiologist on my birthday, which was quite a source of amusement when he noticed on my chart that it was my birthday.  This year I was scheduled for a haircut but was contacted by my barbershop last week with news that my barber is on three months (!) of jury duty.  So the haircut happened on Monday.

So I suggested an early morning round of golf to a friend and we played yesterday morning.  Unfortunately, it began to get warmer early into the back nine, which we were expressly trying to avoid, and I was pretty well worn out by the time we finished.  Just don't handle the heat like I once did.  But it was fun, and my friend went back to work.

We celebrated with a dinner of Kentucky Fried Chicken (suggested in conversation by a couple of our grandchildren earlier in the week) and a nice key lime cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes.  We provided the same to our son and his family, not far away, and everyone enjoyed it.  My wife offered to make some of her own ridiculously delicious fried chicken but with the heat and the effort involved, I think she was pretty happy with what we chose as well.

I woke with the same aches and pains that I had the day before, golf notwithstanding.  Returned to work and all was as usual today.

But I have to say that I'm better at slowing down long enough to enjoy days like that than I used to be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right