Seeing things differently

Happy Sunday, everyone.  Hope the weather is agreeable where you are.  We're experiencing a rare break from high heat and humidity here in Kentucky for at least a couple of days.

As I mentioned recently prior to the actual date, I had cataract surgery last Thursday.  But I didn't really provide much of an explanation of the need and the hoped-for outcome.  That I am sitting before my computer typing and editing with ease should at least address the successful outcome, but there's a little more to tell.

Several years ago, and I would be hard pressed to pinpoint the date, I began to have a lot of irritation in my left eye, much like we see in commercials for dry eye remedies.  Really had a bad bout on a visit to Colorado in the late spring of 2014.  My wife and I were there for a family occasion and the dry climate there, I thought, was the primary factor, as I kept complaining of how dry and irritated my eyes were.  Bought and used over the counter moisture drops and went about our business.

A few months later I experienced what eye doctors refer to as flashes, where I saw a few brief but bright and localized lights in the same eye.  Not long after I went to the optometrist for an eye exam and he commented about that "spot" in the upper left region of my field of vision in that eye.  He said, believe it or not, that I had a cataract forming.  I was 53 years old at the time.  He said there was no evidence of one forming in the other eye, and that we would simply keep an eye on it year over year.

It gradually worsened, but not noticeably, and by spring 2021 he said that it was soon going to be time to take care of that cataract, which had grown considerably.  He also remarked that my prescription in my other eye had not changed and that the cataract itself was completely clear and not yellowish like so many he'd seen in other patients.  His advice was keep going as before but if it became a problem, he could recommend people to address it.

By chance my wife and I had both visited a different eye doctor, an ophthalmologist, at the recommendation of a different optician (we wanted a change so went somewhere other than our usual optical practice).  I liked him OK, although that type of doctor was a little much for a simple vision exam.

Got an appointment with him in early May, he examined me thoroughly and confirmed that the cataract needed to be removed.  Worth noting my wife had cataracts in both eyes addressed a few years ago at a high-volume eye surgery practice (cataracts and LASIK were most of what they did and still do), so decided to have him perform the surgery.  

If you're not experienced with this, the quick version is that the doctor takes back a flap of tissue on the front surface of the eye, removes the cataract, which is attached to the eye's natural lens, and implants a replacement lens.  I opted for the standard one, since I have worn glasses since 1986, but I could have gone for a super-duper progressive lens that would have promised almost fully corrected vision.

Got the drops ahead of time, one of them an antibiotic and the other a steroid, and used them four times each day for the two days prior to the procedure.  Had the procedure, which was painless and somewhat mysterious, with a lot of odd shapes and bright light.  Left with the eye covered with a shield and what seemed a mile of tape with a followup the next day.

The followup indicated that my eye pressure, which is the pressure inside of the eyeball, I believe, was higher than expected, so that meant more frequent drops for that day and two more, plus a third drop specifically for the pressure issue.  Back to normal today although I don't love sleeping on my right side to keep from accidentally poking the operated eye.

I have another followup tomorrow, but have to say that I am seeing well (of course, anything would be better than the gauzy/hazy view I've had for a while) and feeling OK.  No real pain or discomfort except a headache that finally appears to have gone away today.

He said Friday that he thought I'd be back in a fairly short time to have the other eye done, but my vision in the right eye is pretty good, actually, so I will likely hold off until the one in the right eye presents itself more vividly.  In about three more weeks they'll do an eye exam to correct my glasses for my "new" vision.

The eye drops and other restrictions are a hassle, but necessary to the process.  I used to think that the drops and the "no rubbing" instructions were for the eye to heal itself but it appears it's actually to prevent an infection.  

I am far from the first person to experience this, nor will I be the last.  But if you're on the fence about having this done, and have a reputable, experienced doctor to perform the procedure, I certainly recommend it, based on my three days post surgery!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right