Making headlines

Happy Thursday, friends.  For those of us who work conventional schedules, the work week is nearly over!

And I have to say that I'm excited to see the Cincinnati Bengals, the NFL team from my hometown and the one closest to where I live, play the Los Angeles Rams, a childhood favorite, in Sunday's Super Bowl!

I use Apple News as a news aggregator on my mobile devices, and sometimes I marvel at the headlines I'll see in a five minute or so period.  For instance:

From Slate:

"What happens to middle school kids when you teach them about slavery?  Here's a vivid example."


From CNN Business:

"Couple arrested for largest financial seizure by US government"


From the Los Angeles Times:

"Many Republicans think the NFL does too much for Black players and are losing interest in the league, poll shows"


From NBC News:

"Oregon man said he shot brother instead of bear, turns gun on himself"


From Vulture:

"Why your favorite film got snubbed at the Oscars"


From Vogue:

"Inside Kim Kardashian's New World: 'I've Chosen Myself'"


That's in the first thirty or so items that posted in the past hour or so. And if you're like me, you can separate the clickbait (like the last one, certainly) from the stories worth reading.  I remember in high school journalism that a well written headline invites the reader to know more.  I would submit that most of today's headline writers have yet to learn that one.

Now, there are some that need no further introduction, like this one from HuffPost:

"Kristen Bell Said Her Family Farts So Much They Didn't Smell Rot in Their Home"

Nuf ced.

And here's another one that just posted, from NBC News:

"Trump denies he flushed records down White House toilet"

Ahem.

I believe these last couple represent what my mother used to refer to as "chapter and verse."

Enjoy the rest of your day and your Super Bowl weekend!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right