One-liners

Happy Monday, everyone.  Got going early today, so hope you're able to have a good day, too!

Once in a while a thought crosses my mind and I think "I should include that in my next blog post," but it isn't really related to whatever I happen to be writing about in that next post.  So this is going to be something of a listing of such random thoughts and comments, and they're in no particular order.

While I'm not quite as strident as Alabama's governor on her stance on COVID, I have to agree to a point that the unvaccinated are putting everyone at risk by not getting their shots.  I know, there are a number of legitimate reasons why people are hesitant, but for goodness' sake, the vaccines do not contain microchips and are not designed to rearrange one's DNA.  I am appalled at the number of otherwise thoughtful and intelligent individuals who take refuge in one of these tinfoil-hat theories rather than doing the responsible thing for society and getting vaccinated.

Here's a comment directed at former President Trump:  You lost the 2020 election fair and square and have clipped your supporters for enough money from then to now.  Stop all of this nonsense and start raising money for your presidential library.  That's what former presidents routinely do, unless they're named Jimmy Carter. In fact, you should carefully study how former President Carter has conducted himself since leaving office in 1981.

This is for the Cleveland Indians baseball club:  OK, I agree that the nickname "Indians" is offensive to simply too many people to leave in place any longer, but Guardians?  Really?  Your franchise history contains perhaps the coolest nickname ever to grace a professional sports team.  The Cleveland baseball team was once called the Cleveland Spiders.  Who's with me?

I'm pretty active on LinkedIn, and since I have had to conduct two lengthy job searches over the past five years due to unanticipated layoffs, I take note of a lot of career-oriented posts.  There have recently been several posts there that urge employers to at least provide a salary range for their open opportunities.  As someone who has applied for jobs only to learn in the interview process that they pay half of what I am seeking, I could not agree more.  Disclose your intentions regarding compensation up front and you'll actually save yourself a lot of time and effort.  And job-seekers will be far less frustrated with what is already a maddening process.

Speaking of LinkedIn, my current supervisor nominated me to be the point person for LinkedIn posts.  Therefore, I welcome any tips anyone may have!

Here's one for the television industry:  it is not necessary to keep reinventing a once-fresh concept like "Lost."  I saw a preview on NBC during the Tokyo Olympics for a show called La Brea, in which a giant sinkhole appears to open in Lost Angeles and those who fall into it are then transported into some sort of alternate universe.  This was apparently the premise of the show "Manifest," regarding a passenger plane that goes missing, and so on.  By the way, I thought "Lost" was kind of interesting until the end of the first season and I realized that nothing would ever actually resolve itself.  I don't have the patience for a show like that.  I want to be entertained, not frustrated, by a television show.

I'll end with NBC and the Olympics.  It's well known how much the network pays for the rights to broadcast the Olympics and I'm sure that the postponement of these games was costly to NBC.  But my biggest gripe is when they occur in a totally different part of the world, as these are in Japan, they have the opportunity to craft and edit a television show out of what happened in the most popular events earlier in that day.  And promote the hell out of it.  We were interested in seeing champion swimmer Katie Ledecky compete for the first time last night (other than preliminary rounds) and waited until around 10:30.  The host, the affable Mike Tirico (replacing the equally affable Bob Costas) kept telling us it was "coming up" but never really said when.  We were happy to see Katie race but would have liked to know when it was going to happen.  It's situations like these that make YouTube a viable option!

Mission accomplished, I have shared all of the stuff I had planned to in this post.  I'll be back when I think of more!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right