In case you ever wondered...

Well, it's Monday, friends, so I hope that you had a good weekend.

We did around here.  Friday we watched our son go through commencement exercises to commemorate his graduation from law school in the fall of 2019.  The ceremony ordinarily would have been the following spring, but, of course, was delayed by the pandemic to this spring.  He's already been practicing as an attorney for over a year, having passed the bar in March 2020, but it was still a meaningful occasion.

And yesterday we celebrated my wife and daughter-in-law with a nice brunch with our son and his family.  Now that we're seeing them regularly it's hard to believe how seldom we did this from March 2020 through April of this year.

Now, on to today's topic du jour....

I have a little bit of biographical information in my profile for this blog, but I'd guess that a good many of you who visit this site regularly don't know much about me.  So here are a few factoids that may be of some interest.

I was born in Cincinnati, OH, but grew up in Paris, KY.  That's the town where Secretariat and a number of other champion thoroughbred racehorses were bred and returned after their racing careers ended.

I am a graduate of the University of Kentucky, with a degree in business administration.  I worked my way through school, with a full-time job for the first three-and-a-half years of my experience there.  My job was at a grocery store in Paris, and I considered a career in the retail grocery business for a time.

In my last semester at UK I left the grocery store, and worked two part-time jobs.  One was at a local family-owned funeral home, and I actually worked there full-time for a few weeks after graduation, determining that it wasn't really for me.

The other job I had late in my college years was in radio, working as a weekend announcer at our local radio station.  I eventually went full-time there the summer after graduation and stayed in the broadcasting industry for several years.

I spent twelve years in personnel placement and human resources positions until moving into the healthcare industry, and have been working in various segments of that since.

I met my wife while working at a video rental store (remember those?) where she was a customer and I was the manager.  We've been together since and will celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary on July 4!

I have two children, a daughter who's a pharmacist in the Denver, Colorado area.  She's married with two children, one of whom, amazingly, will turn 16 in a couple of months.  I also have a son, the afore-mentioned law school graduate and attorney here in Lexington, Kentucky, and is married with three children (one of whom is upstairs playing with my wife!).

I used to regularly play the acoustic guitar and know how to play two or three songs on the piano.

I'm not very handy, but I can fix a few things and still insist on doing certain jobs myself, like yard work and painting (a chore I don't enjoy but one that I won't pay someone else to do).  At any rate, I'm more able to repair things around the house than my dad ever was.

Speaking of my father, my parents were both from Huntington, West Virginia.  They moved to Cincinnati before I was born, then to Lexington and eventually to Paris.  I have two brothers, one older and one younger.

I know a lot of people, mostly through business, but have a relatively small circle of close friends.  And have been friends with these folks for a long time.

Enough about me.

Thanks for stopping by.  Promise that the next post will be about a more interesting subject!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right