You don't know how it feels

...and neither do I.

In reference to several people and events in the news recently, I've been thinking about a song by the late, great Tom Petty, entitled "You Don't Know How it Feels."  Suppose there's some truth in that, but it all depends on perspective, and when it comes to the rich and famous, we really DON'T know how it feels.

Take all of the celebrities who've been swept up in the college admission scandal of the past few months.  Actress Felicity Huffman pleaded guilty to her role in this (her offense was that she paid a proctor to change answers for her daughter's college entrance exam) and was sentenced to 14 days in federal prison, a fine and a specified amount of community service.

Huffman went off to prison recently and was photographed while there, and was released last Friday, a couple of days early, because the end of her sentence fell on a weekend.  I think this qualifies as a "you don't know how it feels" scenario, because it seems clear that Huffman didn't really suffer while incarcerated in a minimum security facility, but we don't know how much she suffered in thinking about what she did and why she should not have done so.

Her fellow actress Lori Laughlin has taken a different approach, pleading not guilty to the original charges and now having a bribery charge added.  She originally didn't act at all bothered by any of it, smiling and signing autographs on her way into and out of court.  In a later appearance, though, she appeared much more serious and concerned.  I'd say it's a pretty good bet that she's feeling something that isn't altogether positive, since she and her husband spent about a half million dollars to get their daughters fraudulently admitted to the University of Southern California.  But we really don't know how it feels to her.

We in this country are avid royal watchers in general, since we don't have a monarchy, ceremonial or otherwise.  And now that an American is married to a member of the royal family, our interest is heightened.

Recently we've been seeing headlines and news accounts of how difficult things have been for former actress Meghan Markle, now married to Prince Harry.  She experienced a very public engagement, a fairytale wedding, pregnancy and now a baby.  And by all accounts it's all been a very trying and difficult experience.

From my perspective I find it hard to believe that it's been all that hard for her, given that she has a staff to help with everything from helping choose clothing for public appearances to domestic staff and so on.  But I also don't live with my every move scrutinized by tabloid press, eager for a story, particularly a negative one.  So I don't know how it feels, even though I may think that I do.

So I always try to keep that sentiment in mind--I don't know how it feels to be a given person, to have experienced what they have and so on.  I meet a lot of people in my work, and as I'm reminded pretty frequently, all have a story of where they've been and what they've experienced, and not all of it is positive.

I try to maintain a sense of positivity when I encounter people, perhaps share a chuckle or a smile, because I DON'T KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE THEM.

Something to think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right