In the blink of an eye

Hot here in central Kentucky, friends, but, then again, it's the second week of July.  Of course it's hot!

Today's 24-hour news cycle certainly is really something.  There are so many channels to feed--on television, online and elsewhere--that the effort to find the latest news just keeps on coming.  And at breakneck speed as well.

Unless you've been living without media contact, you know that the sordid story of Jeffrey Epstein and his association with scores of girls and young women is THE story right now.  It became so just a few days ago.  Before that it was the U.S. women's soccer team winning the Women's World Cup, and before that....well, gee, that was a long time ago, almost a week.

See what I mean?  The doings of our current administration would not have been tolerated twenty or more years ago, because there wouldn't have been something worse or more noteworthy to push those deeds from the front page or the top of the feed or the lead story on a news broadcast.  It's a bit like a joke Jerry Seinfeld first told a long time ago, and I'm paraphrasing it, but he said that men don't want to know what's on television, they want to know what ELSE is on.

An apt comparison to today.

And what's important and current and urgent and BREAKING (that appears to be the new word that all media sources use for, well, everything new) depends on where you get your news.  I honestly cannot even say what leads off any news on Facebook, since I don't (and won't) have an account there.  Twitter and Instagram both depend on the accounts you follow.  Cable news comes in several flavors, most notably Fox News and NOT Fox News, with correspondingly differing viewpoints.

Couple of weeks ago, former VP Joe Biden was not apologizing for his statements that he worked cooperatively with two known segregationist Senators way back when.  Then fellow candidate and Senator Kamala Harris took him to task during night two of the recent Democratic debates.  A few days passed and Biden did apologize, but in his own way.  If that's still a big story, I'd be surprised.

And so on and so on and so on.

I get my news from a combination of online sources and from some cable news reporting.  I can generally sort actual reporting from commentary and slanted coverage of anything.  And I feel that I have a pretty good sense of right from wrong, so I don't worry that I'm somehow being taken for a ride by a media outlet because I can't tell whether they're telling me the truth or their version of the truth.

Can you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right