The long game

It's not raining here in Lexington today.  That's big news, given what we've experienced around here of late!

I continue to explore the job market for the next great opportunity.  And as I told a friend who's also looking for a new position yesterday, it seems we have to kiss a LOT of frogs before finding our prince(ss).

My due diligence appears to be producing some prospects, as I'm actively interviewing with several companies right now.  And they're a pretty diverse group of companies, of varying size, industry and position.  Overall I think that's a good thing, as it's all too easy to say "I've been X for a certain length of time and that's what I want to do."  I could do that, but since leaving a certain segment of business after approximately 18 years of experience a few years ago, I've not had a great deal of continuity in my career.

But I work hard to remain true to my moral compass in terms of how we should treat others and be treated, how our ethics should be the dominant influence on what we do in the work environment and elsewhere,  and whether a business is operated in an ethical way.  I won't say that I've passed up opportunity after opportunity in service to my beliefs, but I'm astute enough to know what to avoid and not to put myself in a position where I receive an offer from a company that I know will make me miserable if I accept.

One wouldn't think that's too difficult, but when your only income is what you receive from the state in unemployment benefits, principles are a little hard to follow.

So the process continues.  And that's what it is, a process.  I had assumed that the process is elongated strictly because of my point in life, being a mature person with many years of work behind me.  That was true until I met a networking contact for coffee last week and learned that she went through a seven month search before landing her current position.  And she is fully thirty years younger than I am.

Like me, she knew what she didn't want to find herself doing.  And stuck to that somewhat stubbornly.  Good for her.

Will keep you posted.  Thanks for visiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right