Exercise your rights as a citizen tomorrow

Friends, unless you've been living on a desert island, you know that tomorrow is election day.  And while you likely have a number of local and/or state races for which you can vote, you also have the opportunity to vote for your preferred candidate for Congress.

You should be sure to do so.

According to some information I've read, the last time we had a mid-term election (that is, at the mid-point of a given presidential term), approximately 35 percent of registered voters made their way to the polls to cast ballots.

That's appalling.

Here we are, in a country founded on democracy and freedom of choice, and that large a percentage doesn't feel it worth the time to vote.

I somehow think this time it will be different.

I don't know yet how I feel about last year's tax bill, as 2018 will be the first year where our returns are subject to the new terms.  I'm unhappy with the number of people and groups whose rights are being deliberately and systematically altered or curtailed.  I don't appreciate how those in Washington think that most of us in the middle of the country--aptly named "flyover country" by some political pundit--aren't astute enough to recognize what is happening versus what should or could be addressed.

And I doubt I'm alone.

I'm heading out of town on business, but because of tomorrow's election day, I'm going to go to the polls as soon as they open before leaving Lexington.  Because my voice counts, too, and I have children and grandchildren and their well-being to consider.

The joke when I was a kid was that if you didn't vote, you didn't have a right to complain.

It's not a joke.  It's the truth.  You're either part of the problem or part of the solution, you know.  And once the votes are totaled and we know who will represent us in these various offices, we go forward.  Because we as a country always have.

Lecture concluded.  Please vote tomorrow!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

63 (and counting!)