It's all about fall

Good Monday morning to you.  I hope that you were able to enjoy a great weekend.

As the old saying goes, fall has fell, certainly, as we're now seeing more and more days where it's appropriate to wear a jacket or sweater, and far more evenings that fit that description.  We always know they're coming, just a question of when.

I've reported here what a strange spring and summer we've had here in Kentucky, with more than ample amounts of rain and temperate conditions.  As I recall, we only had a few stretches of excessively hot weather (every time I opted to play golf this season, if memory serves) and that has contributed to a late fall for us.

The marker here at our house is a large tree in the yard of a home directly behind us.  Seems every year that tree suddenly bursts into flaming orange and red, and often does so before this spot on the calendar.  Our son-in-law is an avid photographer and when he and our daughter and their kids visit in the fall he enjoys photographing that tree.  I had occasion to message with him last week and he asked if that tree had turned yet, and was surprised to hear that it had not.  Yesterday my wife took a picture of it and it's just now showing some tinges of orange.

We've had hard frosts over the past three nights, so I may be finished mowing my grass.  Good thing, too, since I've mowed it every four or five days since March.  Then we winterize the lawn mower by running all of the gas out of it.

On one of my recent trips I was caught totally off guard without any sort of outer garment.  That last day in the Detroit area was just a little on the cool side.

And, of course, the midterm election will take place in just a couple of weeks.  Whatever the outcome, I'm always glad it's over, as the bombardment of negative attack ads can then cease.  We have a contentious congressional race in my home area, as I've mentioned, and the tenor of advertisements from one side, in particular, is pretty revolting.

I've never aspired to political office, but if I were interested in that, I'd be very reluctant to launch attacks on my opponent.  If that's the only way I could win, I don't think I'd really want to.

One more thing, since the World Series starts in a couple of days--today the Cincinnati Reds will introduce David Bell as their next field manager.  Worth noting that Bell is the son and grandson of former Reds players Buddy and Gus Bell (Buddy is currently a vice president and senior adviser to the Reds.

David was first a minor league manager in the Reds' minor league system, and then coached at the major league level with the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals.  He has most recently been the vice president of player development for the San Francisco Giants.

All of that is an impressive set of credentials, but none of it will matter if the Reds don't acquire the additional players necessary to field a winning ballclub.

And since the baseball season is nearly over, let me close with a favorite quote from the late A. Bartlett Giamatti, the former commissioner of baseball and a professor of literature and former president of Yale University:

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

Have a good week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Thankful every day

Latest and greatest