Space program

It's raining here in central Kentucky, friends.  I'm not quite sure if this is related to Hurricane Florence, which is stalled somewhere in the Carolinas, or a separate weather system, but it's raining here.  Again.

As reported here on our last visit, my wife and I had the task of determining how we would use our now-vacant front room.  I sold my old, bulky office furniture recently and that set into motion a chain reaction that leads us to today.

Our planned first step was to move our current kitchen table into the front room (which was designed to be a dining room) and give that a look to see what we thought of it.  So Friday I did just that.  This involved removing the legs from the long table, then scooting it into the other room, protecting it and the floors with towels underneath.  Then I reinstalled the table legs and put it upright.  I initially liked how it looked, both from the standpoint of size and of color.  But as the day wore on (I didn't have any outside appointments Friday) it became clear to me that the space and the table were not a good fit for one another.

My wife came home and looked at it for a long time and deduced the same thing.

So we then agreed that it should be returned to its former purpose, that of a home office.  I'm still going to be working from home in my new position (sorry, no details, except that my current company promoted me into different responsibilities) so having a good place to work is important.

We had already done some scouting at Pottery Barn, where we've bought small decorative items but nothing as large as a piece of furniture, so went back there Friday evening for a closer look at several of the options they had on their sales floor (and we're pretty happy that there's a Pottery Barn location in Lexington now, too, as it used to be that Cincinnati was the closest store) and identified a couple of good options.

As you'd imagine, the one I liked was the one that my wife felt was a little small for me.  Not for my work, but for ME.  The one she preferred seemed too much like a redo (in a different finish) of what I just sold.  So we were not convinced either way, but decided the next morning to go back and look again, as we needed to get this show on the road!

I got up early Saturday and looked at some other furniture websites and landed on the site for Arhaus Furniture, a store from whom we've bought a fair amount of furniture over the years.  And on their site I discovered that a set I always liked, back when I wasn't even looking for office furniture, is presently available at a significant discount.  So I relocated our kitchen table back into our kitchen, and off we went.

Picked the desk easily enough, but wanted an accessory piece and had some difficulty deciding.  Finally arrived at a decision and even added a bench, as this area is also our entryway, so it will be good to have a place for folks to take off and put on their shoes as well.

But this morning I walked into that space and began looking at it critically.  Got the tape measure and saw that the desk will be fine where we intend to place it, but the accessory piece is too long!  So we need to go back to our original idea of an upright piece.  Which means I need to go back to Arhaus and change out what we're ordering.

Best part is that all of it will be here in a couple of weeks.  You have to understand, this is record time for us to make a decision about furniture.  Even with this change....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

63 (and counting!)