I just don't know

Greetings, friends.  It's 6 degrees here in Lexington as I write this.  Not much more I need to say, is there?

The title of today's post refers to what we're seeing and hearing in the news, and that's true whether you rely on local and national TV news, newspapers, radio or online sources.  The things that are being reported that were said and done and arranged and kept secret are, well, they're just staggering. I've mentioned here before that I was a young teenager during Watergate, but because news was slower in coming and there was no Internet, the bits and pieces that we received were harder to put together quickly.

Not anymore.  Now we have major newspapers competing with television networks and purely online news platforms, all working diligently to scoop each other.  And the real problem I see is this:  as more and more outrageous things are reported, whether they are related to potential collusion with foreign countries during an election, low or even non-existent standards of personal conduct, yet another change in regulations that will undoubtedly create a disadvantage for someone or something, or statements reflecting not just insensitivity but outright bigotry, our society becomes desensitized to the damage that any one of these things can cause.  And we begin to accept these outrageous things as normal, as acceptable, and as what we would expect.

I truly think that the allegations against so many people, mostly men, regarding their conduct toward others of a sexual nature has reached the point where we're surprised that we're NOT hearing as many accusations as rapidly as we were.

I also think that our President has been exposing us to his way of thinking for long enough now (and let's face it, most everyone knew who he was before he rode down that escalator to announce he was running for office) that it's very easy to shake one's head in amazement or disgust or disappointment.

I don't think I'm that different from a lot of people.  I get a lot of my news from online sources, but also from television network news organizations.  I try to stay informed and aware of what's happening in Washington (and in my state capital, where a less-known version of the President presides as Governor) and keep track of how, if at all, these goings on may affect me and my family.

I think that's a realistic approach.  I could come to this blog site and rail daily but I doubt it would do any good, so I try to be selective in what I mention and how frequently I post here on matters of this type.

Stay informed.  Stay aware.  And be ready for the next thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Thankful every day