All Hallows' Eve eve

Good Monday morning, everyone.  Looks like fall is really here in central Kentucky, as reported in this space last week.  Hard freeze the last couple of nights, and spits of snow were visible while I was wrapping up some yard work yesterday.

Will you be wearing a costume for Halloween this year?  I had to think about the last time that I dressed up for the occasion.  It was probably the Halloween that I was working at a nursing home, as employees there were encouraged to dress up.  We had bought our son a replica of a classic flannel Chicago White Sox jersey, so I appropriated that (already had the hat) and went as a quasi-baseball player.  Got high marks from my associates, who assumed I was too serious to come in actual costume.

This year?  I'll probably dress as "Bruce Wayne, eccentric billionaire," borrowing that character's phrase from "The Dark Knight Rises."  My Halloween job is to hand out candy at my son's house, so that he and his wife can take their kids out Trick or Treating.  So best not to scare anyone.  Depending on the weather I may don a Reds jacket and cap, but no more than that.

But I think it's fun.  My wife and I were at the grocery last night and there was a student age male there dressed in a full gladiator outfit.  Even had a plastic sword.  I actually tried to utter the phrase "strength and honor" as we passed but never got it out.

I've been seeing some pretty neat celebrity costumes, some ridiculously elaborate, others deceptively simple.  For example, fans of the movie "Se7en" will get the reference when they see Gwinneth Paltrow wearing a cardboard box around her head.  I also saw that Kim Kardashian and a male friend dressed up as a dead-on Sonny and Cher.

On to more pressing topics....

Based on numerous press reports, it appears that we may learn today who will be the first person or people charged in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of the Trump campaign's possible collusion with the Russian government.  I have my theories about who will be named, as most people familiar with the figures and evidence that has so far come to light.  And we can all agree here, despite our political persuasions and opinions, that there is never a good time for our country to experience something like this.

It also appears that the avalanche of entertainment and business figures accused of sexual harassment is going to continue for a while, as people are now emboldened by those who've already come forward with their stories.  I applaud Jane Fonda's comments to the effect that most of those who have done so are "famous and white" and that there are far more such stories that should be taken equally seriously.

Kentucky beat Tennessee in football Saturday night, for only the second time since 1984.  In other news, ice was spotted in various parts of Hell over the weekend.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right