This is where we are

Good morning to all.  Unexpected thunderstorm underway here in central Kentucky.  'Tis the season, you know!

By the way, I hope that everyone was able to enjoy the long Memorial Day weekend.  I read about some rather crass suggestions for celebrating the day.  Those who are given to deeper thought appreciate the day off as much as the sacrifices that allow it to occur annually, of course.

Did you read about golfer Tiger Woods?  He was found unconscious in his car in the middle of a street in the middle of the night.  The engine was running at the time.  Arrested for DUI.

I learned of this while playing golf with some friends on Monday.  My first comment was that, well, let's remember that the guy had back surgery not so long ago and likely mixed alcohol with prescribed pain medication.  The police report is due to be released today, I believe.  I think Tiger has a little more explaining to do, even though he's months from attempting to return to competitive play.

Woods' fall from celebrated golf prodigy has been long and painful, as his body and image simultaneously broke down.  In his prime I enjoyed watching him play and watching him make a golf ball do some pretty amazing things.  Will we get to see him play at a high level again?  It's very hard to say.

Big fight in a Major League Baseball game over the weekend, featuring talented but temperamental player Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals. His agent is making an argument that he does not deserve the four-game suspension handed down by MLB.  Provoked or not, there are rules against charging the mound, Bryce.

The Reds were showing some fight themselves recently, as they started a road trip on a good note and won their first series in Philadelphia since 2006.  Then they arrived in Toronto and promptly were decimated 17-2 on their first night there and lost narrowly last night, too.  I swear, I'm almost ready to volunteer my services as a pitcher, at the rate they're going they'll need me by the All-Star break.  Absolutely remarkable that this team is as close the the .500 mark as they are, with a starting rotation that has been decimated by numerous injuries.

RIP to sportswriter Frank Deford, who graced the pages of Sports Illustrated for many years before helping start The National, a daily sports newspaper.  You know, back when we used to rely on NEWSPAPERS for our information.  Deford was a frequent guest on ESPN's The Sports Reporters and other venues where his commentaries, which he wrote, of course, were the only thing better than reading his work.  In my lifetime I've had the privilege to read his work and that of Roger Angell, the brilliant writer of baseball and other subjects.  He will certainly be missed.

Speaking of antiquated institutions, I saw just a few minutes ago that CBS apparently decided to remove Scott Pelley as the anchor of its evening news broadcast.  We don't watch CBS News in our home, except for CBS Sunday Morning, but the few times I've seen Pelley he drives me bananas because he speaks so slowly as to be condescending.  Probably not intentional, but that's how I take it.  "I"m going to speak slowly for you so that you'll understand what I'm saying."  He'll still be on 60 Minutes, apparently, another news show which is very long in the tooth.

Have to confess that we watch NBC Nightly News in our household, well, nightly.  Because I spend some time online during the day, I usually know the majority of what will be covered, but my wife still prefers a digested version of the latest news.  Networks will keep putting these shows on provided they make some money, I think, but once the profit motive goes away, so will the programs.

Last comment:  I noticed that the latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie made out well at the box office over the holiday weekend, sailing (sorry, bad pun) past the competition, which included a reimagining of the old TV show "Baywatch."  We saw the first three, noted very little original in numbers two and three, didn't bother with the 4th and agreed that this latest one was clearly a cash-in move by Disney, the producers and star Johnny Depp, whose quirky talents have not yielded anything close to a hit in some time.  Hope those who saw it enjoyed it, as I don't plan to.

Enjoy your Wednesday.  And, yes, I almost typed "Tuesday."






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Thankful every day