Early Tuesday thoughts

Good morning to all.  It's Tuesday, for a change, as I normally seem to post on Mondays.

We celebrated my wife's birthday over the weekend.  She's not excited to have birthdays, but did admit that she always has a good day on or around her birthday, and I and the rest of the family were all pleased that she enjoyed our celebrations as much as we did!

A good friend is ailing right now....you know who you are, so here's hoping that things make a substantial turn for the better.  And soon!

Did you hear that Scott Walker dropped out of the Republican presidential race?  I'd say a lot more people heard that that much of anything else he said while a candidate.  The field is gradually dwindling, and I suspect that will continue as time and money becomes short for many of these candidates.

I'm still fascinated by the fact that blustering billionaire Donald Trump is still leading the pack in this race.  And that two others who have never held office at any level, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina and retired pediatric neurosurgeon Ben Carson, are in the second and third polling positions.  You have to keep going down the list to find people who are or have been officeholders.

Let's talk sports for just a minute...Kentucky lost for what seems the 90th consecutive time to Florida in football over the weekend.  It's not really that many, but I was a much younger man the last time the Cats beat the Gators.  Close game, 14-9, but a loss is still a loss.

And speaking of losses, but the Reds assured recently that this dreadful season will not end with 100 losses or more, which is kind of the benchmark for futility in baseball terms.  The kid pitchers continue to perform like, well, kids, although there are glimmers of optimism from many of them here and there.  John Lamb is one; he pitched six-plus innings of shutout baseball last night, only to see his 1-0 lead evaporate into a 2-1 loss against the hated St. Louis Cardinals.

Do you have an iPhone or iPad?  Have you updated your software to iOS 9 yet?  I updated all four of the devices in the house to the new operating system last week, late in the day it became available, and, by all accounts, it's all running smoothly.  I have an iPad Air 2 and on it and one or two other models you can multitask by sliding a second application into view, and then slide it back when you're finished.  Great to be able to check e-mail or a text message without bailing out of whatever you're doing.  There's more to it, of course, but a boatload of new features are built into the new iPhone 6S models, as you'll see on the commercials.

And, of course, it was reported this week after being rumored for some time that Apple is working on an electric car.  Would I buy one?  Would I buy ANY electric car?  Hard to say right now.

Couple of movies coming out soon that I want to mention, and since I've mentioned Apple, I'll identify "Steve Jobs" as one of them.  Directed by Danny Boyle, who did "Slumdog Millionaire" and written by the superb Aaron Sorkin, this appears to be a good slices-of-life portrait of a very complicated man.  I'll probably see it, though it's hard to say if I can convince my wife to go or not.

The other one is a sure bet for her and for me.  "The Martian" stars Matt Damon (a fave of my wife's) as an astronaut accidentally stranded on Mars who fights for survival.  This picture is directed by Ridley Scott, who has a great way with these suspenseful plotlines.  Should be a good one.

The only other movie I'll mention here is "Mad Max: Fury Road," which is a continuation of the uber-action series from the 80s.  Same director, too, George Miller.  Great action-chase movie, with Charlize Theron in an interesting role and Tom Hardy picking up the title role from Mel Gibson and doing well with it.  I have seen that this movie is actually getting Oscar buzz, which is pretty amazing.  But it's a gorgeous film to look at and while the plot is pretty out there, it's edited well enough to make sense throughout.  I say see it, unless car chases in the post-apocalyptic future doesn't agree with you.  By the way, I may be repeating myself in praise of this movie, but I watched it again recently and continue to be impressed!

Time to get ready to head out.  I have meeting about 80 miles away and time's wasting!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

Something to think about