Rainy Sunday morning musings

Good Sunday morning, all....not going to complain about rain in late July.  Rare occurrence here in central Kentucky.

I have a good friend in northern California who reminded me that the "water police" are out in force there, citing those who ignore regulations about watering lawns, washing cars and such during a severe drought there.  We don't have that here, and probably won't this year, so that's a blessing.

I love quiet Sunday mornings.  My wife is still sleeping, I'm here at my computer with a cup of coffee, perusing the Internet and writing this.  Listening to some music on headphones to keep the house quiet.  We'll enjoy a leisurely breakfast in a while, watch a little television, then decide how to spend the day.  Nice.

Was fortunate enough to play golf with two separate groups of friends the last two Saturdays.  Yesterday's game was an annual treat---a man who's old enough to be my dad annually joins me and a couple of other mutual acquaintances (also young enough to be his sons) for a game of golf.  This guy is a very good player, but we generally manage to bring him down to our level.  Great fun, always nice to reminisce, and I think our friend looks forward to this annual golf date as much as we do.

And I've been playing pretty well lately, which is a nice plus.  Had two consecutive birdies yesterday (for the uninitiated, that means I scored one stroke under par--par being the recommended number of shots it should take to get the ball from the tee to the hole--each time).  Complete luck at my level of ability, but fun and exciting nonetheless.

I mentioned headphones a bit earlier.  I have had an interesting problem of late.  I splurged on a new pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones a while back, which freed up a pair of Bose earphones that I could then use while on my treadmill.  These replaced a pair of Apple earpods for that purpose, and I was excited that I'd have better sound while watching movies and such during exercise.  Since connecting the Bose set, though, I've had to play with the connections to make sure I was getting all of the sound quality, as I'd get most, but not all, of the soundtrack of what I was watching.  Did a little research yesterday to discover that Bose headphones don't like extension cords all that much.  So I'm back to a cheaper pair for now, but am acquiring a genuine Bose extension cord.  Frustrating, but given how Bose is so secretive about their technology and such, I suppose it's not entirely surprising.

I'm a big Bose fan, too.  Using those noise cancelling phones right now, with a pair of their computer speakers on the desk.  And we have one of their soundbars connected to our TV.  Great sound, takes up little space, and it blends right into the TV and stand esthetically.  And my wife approves, which is a major plus for any gadget-oriented purchase.  I'd rank Bose right up there with Apple as products that polarize opinion but are held in high esteem by those who own one or more of them.

Speaking of Apple, we were at the Apple Store last night for our monthly walk-through (as I commented to my wife, it's a minor victory to leave there empty-handed).  I continually find myself fascinated by the iPod Classic.  Pretty rudimentary machine compared to smart phones and the iPod Touch (which I used to have before acquiring my first iPad), as it only plays music and videos.  But it has a 160 gigabite storage capacity, and my mind races to figure out exactly how much of my library of music, movies and TV would fit onto it.  Not something I need, of course, but might be useful in many regards.  Of course, I feel certain that I can justify it in some way.

Oh, and the Reds won a baseball game yesterday for the first time in nearly two weeks.  I love baseball, but it loves me a little less when this kind of stuff happens.

Onward and upward, I suppose.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

Something to think about