Not a new year anymore

Well, we're almost at the mid-point of the month of January 2014, so I suppose that it's no longer the "new" year.  I have said that to a few people with whom I hadn't previously communicated, but I guess I should stop now.

The new year generally means the NFL playoffs, to determine who plays in the Super Bowl (which, incidentally, will be played outdoors in the New York area this year).  Four teams are left, and our rooting interest is with the Denver Broncos, as we have family in the Denver area (they're season ticket holders) and I just like Peyton Manning.  The Broncos have to get past the dreaded New England Patriots to reach the big game, so here's hoping that they can do just that next Sunday.  The other teams left are the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers (who represented the NFC last year, losing to Baltimore).  Since Seattle will be the host team, I like their chances.  I have not been in their stadium for a game, but it's apparently the loudest place where pro football is played.

Each year I dig through my archives and watch the Ken Burns miniseries "Baseball," which is a detailed history of the grand old game.  My son gifted me with the DVDs of this masterpiece a couple of Christmases ago, so I now have high-quality versions of the entire set, as previously I had VHS tapes from television broadcasts (and isn't it funny how we all used to watch taped stuff from TV and never think twice about the picture or sound quality?).  My previous job used to present some challenges with this annual ritual, as I generally watch these films while on my treadmill, so couldn't do that away from home.  Now that I don't travel extensively, it's much easier to have a routine for fitness and the entertainment opportunities it provides.  So I'm looking forward to that, as I just started it today.

Looks like Chris Christie still has some 'splainin' to do, as Ricky used to say to Lucy.  I doubt we'll ever know the true motivation of what the pundits are now calling Bridgegate, but his future political aspirations are definitely in the balance.  Don't you imagine that most every Republican who ever THOUGHT about running for President is now thinking about actually doing it?

Watched most of the Golden Globes with my wife last night.  There's a key ingredient to that ceremony that the Oscars are lacking--alcohol.  It's at a hotel ballroom, instead of a big theater, so everyone who wants to drink most definitely can.  We missed some of the early awards being presented, but I believe one or more winners noted their drinking throughout the program.  And how about Emma Thompson, elegant and talented British actress and screenwriter, stepping onto the stage to present an award carrying her painfully high heels and a martini!  I think most every female friend I have concurs that high heels are quite literally a double-edged sword!

It's Monday, and I actually have some work to do, so make it a good week.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latest and greatest

Replacement value

Something to think about