New and not

Greetings, one and all.  I have the usual mixture of comments and observations.  Nothing to rant about, but, hey, it's early.

If you have an iPhone or an iPad, as I do, you can now download the NEW iOS 7 from Apple.  It's been pretty well publicized, so if you hadn't heard, you're probably smarter than the rest of us!  Anyway, the idea behind this was to give your Apple devices a totally new look and feel.  I downloaded the software for both devices last night, and, even though I had only a couple of hours to play with it, I have to say that Apple appears to have pulled off something that I didn't know would be possible.....improving their existing user interface.  New backgrounds, ring tones, etc., but the old standbys are all still available, too, in case you're really attached to the former "default" Marimba ring tone (I hear that one ALL THE TIME).  I'll let you be the judge if you have a device that can and will accept this update, but I think you'll like it!

Unfortunately, something that's not new is news this week of another mass shooting, this time at the Washington, D.C. Navy Yard.  It's completely beyond me how in the world a man who had the problems the suspect appears to have had was able to:

Have a U.S. military contracting position
Have a U.S. government security clearance
Buy a gun on Sunday and use it on Monday
Not have been brought to justice for past acts of gun violence

I won't presume to lecture about this, but something clearly needs to happen in this area.

OK, on to something a little less weighty.....I've expressed my amusement at some of what I see in everyday traffic, but what I saw yesterday really takes the cake.  I was on the circle freeway around Lexington and noticed in the left lane an older pickup truck was kind of drifting over into my lane.  I slowed up, he proceeded to drift right in front of me.  No problem, since I saw him well in advance.

Anyway, I generally get off this road at a certain point, and travel a couple of blocks to another by-pass type of road, and then through a residential area, etc.  The same truck was in the same position, left lane, and I'm in the right.  I see him again drifting into my lane, so, again, I let him in.  He turns where I plan to turn, just ahead of me.  A car is preparing to turn left, so the pickup driver DRIVES UP OVER THE CURB to get around the turning car.  Then, up ahead, there's a backup of a couple of cars ahead of him.  The thru lane traffic light is still red, but the turn light is green.  Mr. Pickup again mounts the curb, drives around three cars and runs the red light.

The funniest thing about this was that he wasn't going very fast at all.  Fortunately for other motorists who didn't see him coming (or going).

And, for those who keep mentioning it, I like the GEICO commercial with the camel asking, "Know what day it is?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Latest and greatest