The usual

Morning, all....hope the week is breezing by for you.

Now that the election is over and most people have moved on (save for those pesky yard signs that won't seem to go away), I suppose things are getting back to normal.


Can you believe that Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK?  Me, either.  That one slipped up on me rather unobtrusively.


My wife and I had a very nice weekend trip last weekend, with one of the highlights being our viewing of the newest James Bond picture, "Skyfall."  I won't spoil it for any of you who might be planning to see it, but suffice it to say that we liked this movie VERY much.

Our primary purpose with our trip was to kickstart our Christmas shopping.  We've relied on this technique numerous times in the past, finding that if we were out of town we could focus better on the task at hand, and we've had success with this approach.  This trip was no different, as we made a significant impact on our basic lists.

There was one disappointment in our shopping.....Christmas cards.  As I mentioned in my last post, we still send about three dozen cards to various relatives and friends, and will continue to do so until the U.S. Postal Service finally gives up the ghost, I suppose.  But finding GOOD Christmas cards is a lot harder than it used to be, as we looked in several places and had no success.  Finally found some we liked at a bookstore here in Lexington Monday night.

I know what you're thinking....he's already working on Christmas cards?  Quick answer is "no," with a caveat:  as much as I travel, I need to make sure that the cards are here when I am ready to proceed with that project, so now I can rest easy because we have what we need.  Still have to write the ubiquitous Christmas letter, though.

So I've managed not to travel overnight for business last week and this week, and have a single night away next week (and my wife will accompany me, as it's a car trip).  I suppose there's balance there.

I don't know about you, but this whole scenario involving the resignation of CIA Director David Petraeus gets stranger by the day.  Makes me feel pretty damned normal, in a strange way.

So far my Reds have been just about shut out of the postseason awards, with only rookie infielder Todd Frazier claiming the top rookie award (as determined by players and coaches, I think) and outfielder Jay Bruce winning a Silver Slugger award.  No Gold Gloves, no Rookie of the Year (different award than that noted above), no Cy Young, no Manager of the Year.  I'd like to meet the hacks who vote on these things.

And the Kentucky Wildcats have begun their "real" basketball season, having beaten Maryland in Brooklyn last Friday night, and losing to Duke last night in Atlanta.  They're a really young team, and this kind of inconsistency is what happens to a young team, I think.  I'd think they'll be fine come March, when things really count.

On that same subject, it was my understanding in promotional information that Bobby Knight (no, I won't call him "Bob") was supposed to have been on the ESPN broadcast team for the UK-Duke contest last night, along with the estimable Dan Shulman and the frenetic Dick Vitale.  The game started, no Knight, although he had called the first game of two from Atlanta with Shulman and Jay Bilas.  No explanation on that, though I did read in the comments section of a blog that while Knight wouldn't even utter the word "Kentucky" last season until ESPN management required that he do so, he did say it last night during pregame discussions but wouldn't say the name of Kentucky head coach John Calipari, referring only to the "Kentucky coaches."  I've never been a fan of bitter old men, but in Knight's case, it's worse, as he's been a drain on college basketball for well over thirty years.

That's enough for now, lest I be accused of becoming what I complained about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

Something to think about