The good with the bad

Well, friends, I've made some progress on the honey-do list that I mentioned a few posts ago.  I have now painted my office, our downstairs hallways and, as of yesterday, our master bedroom.  What's left on that painting list?  The kitchen and our living room, which are adjoined by a vaulted ceiling.  That will require some help, so it may be a little while before we get around to that.  But my wife and I are both pleased with the results so far, considering we moved into a slightly different color palette than before (more tan than beige this time) and are using a lower-gloss ("matte" is what the Sherwin-Williams can says) finish and a different, more durable paint product.

That said, I don't know anyone in my vicinity who's pleased with the results posted by Kentucky's woeful football team so far.  They are 2-4 so far, having barely won the two games over foes who normally would be easy to beat, and only one of the four losses was a competitive game.  Lots of things that could be argued here, but the bottom line is that Kentucky once again does not have the personnel to be competitive against powerhouse programs like Florida, LSU and South Carolina.  A shame, but I suppose all good things come to an end, and Kentucky's five year string of bowl game appearances will most likely end with this season.

I've been interested to see the reaction paid to the Occupy Wall Street protests (they made it to Lexington on a small scale on Saturday, I saw while out and about) and the self-proclaimed "99ers" (those who are not in the 1% of the richest Americans, myself included).  The right wing is trying to ignore them, President Obama acknowledged them in a news conference last week but you can tell that he's not sure whether to embrace them or wait and see if their movement has any staying power.

I thought it kind of poignant that Sarah Palin announced she's not running for President but will no doubt hold grimly to her fleeting fifteen minutes of fame, and that it was totally overshadowed by news of Apple cofounder and CEO Steve Jobs' death just a few hours later.  As someone said, it feels strange to mourn someone that you don't know, but I certainly did.  It also feels strange to know that someone changed your life in specific and measurable ways yet you never knew him.

We're beginning to experience the onslaught of falling leaves that always accompany cooler temperatures.  No doubt we'll be mowing/vacuuming/blowing/raking/bagging leaves for the next couple of months.  The neighbor's locust tree is the most annoying, as it's not even ours and still manages to clog our gutters and make it appear that a yellow snowfall landed on our backyard.

I'm about to embark on a fourth consecutive week of overnight business travel.  I get a one week reprieve for some days off next week, then it's back on the road again.

Try to get through today in one piece!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latest and greatest

Replacement value

63 (and counting!)