Working on my act and taking it on the road

Well, sort of.....just back from a very quick business trip to Charlotte, where my supervisor and I interviewed candidates for a vacant position on my team.  And this morning I decided to move outside of the environs of my home office and am writing from a nearby bakery/coffee shop, soaking up that nice, strong, FREE Wi-Fi.

Weather is an interesting thing, isn't it?  How often do we get what we really want?  Here in central Kentucky, we've been approaching drought conditions for a while (though not nearly the extent that many parts of Texas and elsewhere have experienced), so now with the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee parked over our region, it's rained pretty much continuously since last Sunday.  We live on high ground in the city, so flooding really isn't an issue for us.  But it certainly is for those closer to creeks and streams, and there have been many reports of flood damage in our area.  Be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it.

The whole coffee shop dynamic is kind of interesting to me.  I've not been a regular at Starbucks, for example.  Like some of their products, don't have a problem with the environment, but I don't generally think of going there to hang out.  The bakery where I'm perched at the moment is in our neighborhood and many mornings around this time there are groups who are gathered here.  This morning there appear to be two men's bible study groups.  I suppose that community is what places like this are about, but I can't help but feel a little odd when I'm in proximity to a group like this, as though I'm somehow intruding by sitting nearby on my computer, writing this and doing some work.

On my flight from Atlanta (where else?) home last night, my seatmate was a pleasant man who stands about 6 feet, 5 inches tall.  There he was, contorted into the window seat next to me.  Felt worse for him than for me.  Said he didn't fly much and therefore was confounded by the whole idea of the regional jet.  I got over that a long time ago.

Have you noticed that there's a new movie starring Brad Pitt that's out now, or soon, called "Moneyball?" It's based on a very good nonfiction book about how the Oakland Athletics, faced with a lack of money for player salaries, turned to something that's now called sabermetrics to evaluate players.  Statistics replacing baseball scouts' in person impressions of players' abilities.  Very informative and entertaining book, but I'm not sure it makes a good movie.

This time of year is usually kind of a drought for movies that grownups would enjoy, but there are a couple of others coming out soon that appear interesting.  "Contagion" deals with a megadisease and the scientists who apparently discover and attempt to control and cure it.  And Kentuckian George Clooney is out with another picture that he's written and directed, called "Ides of March."   This one is about a presidential candidate.  Well timed.

You probably know that I'm not a Republican, yet my wife and I watched the latter half of last night's Republican presidential debate.  Sorry, but I didn't get any impression that any of the frontrunners look or seem presidential.  Jon Huntsman appears articulate and not without some decent ideas, which is probably why he has no chance of winning.  The funniest thing is that when these folks turn on each other, they're forgetting they have an incumbent, albeit only moderately popular, President against whom to run their campaigns.

The bible study guys nearby are now talking about God wanting us to be better men.  And arguing over which passage best fits a certain scenario.  One of them just looked in my direction.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something to think about

Fear

Latest and greatest