A pirate looks at 51

Sorry, borrowed the title from an old Jimmy Buffett song I always liked, though he referred to a different point in life than I'm facing.

I turn 51 on Wednesday, and, no, I'm not looking for an avalanche of birthday greetings and such.  Last year I turned 50 kind of quietly, spending the day traveling for business and the evening with a pizza in a hotel room in a suburb of Charlotte, North Carolina.  We'd already had a celebration of the family birthdays while our daughter and her family were in for a visit, and my wife and I enjoyed a getaway the weekend just before, so the bigger celebrations had already occurred.

And I did what I was supposed to do, as I recently completed the two things I really didn't want to do...I had a physical, which included a prostate examination, and a colonoscopy.  In my mind, as long as I completed these before my 50th year was up, I wasn't untimely in doing so.  And both tests turned out normal, which is exactly what I wanted.  Probably one of the first times in my life where I wanted to be normal.

I'll be at home, not traveling for business, for my 51st birthday, and, unlike last year when it was known I would be away for the big day, my wife is particularly interested in what I'd like to do to celebrate, what I'd like for dinner, etc.  Should be fun, regardless!


In other news.....

Honestly, I don't know which is worse, the ongoing public fascination with Casey Anthony and her recently concluded trial for the murder of her daughter, or the threats and other threatening comments that have surfaced since she was acquitted of the more serious charges she faced.  The best online comment I read was something along the lines of "if most people would pay as much attention to what's happening with their government as they do with a sensationalized murder trial, this would be a lot different country."  Amen.

Speaking of that, I played golf with a friend yesterday and toward the end of our rain-delayed round we began discussing the NFL lockout and how it parallels the stalemate in Washington over the debt ceiling.  Funny that they're both going to get settled at the last minute, most likely at terms that could and should have been agreed upon far earlier.

I was awfully glad to see veteran golfer Darren Clarke win the Open Championship (also known as the British Open to most) yesterday.  Man's been though a lot, having lost a wife to cancer about five years ago.  My favorite quote of his was that his manager said that he "played better fat, so I've decided to adhere to that advice."  Good for you, Darren.

We haven't yet managed to see the final installment in the Harry Potter film series.  That may be on this week's agenda.

Hope your week is a good one, and that you manage to stay out of the heat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

Something to think about