Back to business

This 50th birthday thing has been pretty interesting.  My wife engineered a celebration well in advance back during the weekend of July 3-4, because our daughter and her family were in town for a visit.  So we had a cake, I received some cards and even a gift!  Nice, right?

Then last weekend, in advance of the grand occasion (which occurred on Tuesday), my wife and I went to Cincinnati for a weekend of R&R.  We had originally planned to go to Chicago, which would have been great fun, but given the distance and travel cost, we were probably better off visiting some of our favorite dining and shopping spots in the Cincinnati area.  Our argument has always been that you can be there in just a couple of hours from Lexington, and since we visit regularly we know what's there, what we like, etc.  We both got shoes at a store in West Chester that specializes in those with foot problems (which unfortunately includes me and my wife), had some nice meals out, did some other "power shopping" and even caught a movie ("Inception," a mind-blowing action drama).  Then back home and, as today's title indicates, back to business.

I spent my actual birthday traveling to Charlotte for business, spending some time with one of my direct reports visiting clients and then spent a couple of hours doing some mutually beneficial coaching with him. Then I had a pizza delivered, ate some of that and went to bed.  Exciting, eh?  Had some difficulty returning home Wednesday due to weather in the Southeast (always the chance one takes flying through Atlanta during the spring and summer months), but finally returned home Wednesday.

But the celebrations weren't over yet, as my son and his wife and adorable baby daughter treated me to lunch yesterday, and showered me with even more gifts!  My wife was out of town for her mother's birthday (she left Thursday evening, so I've been a semi-bachelor since that time) so I told her by phone that I didn't want the birthday celebration to end, it's been so much fun.  To cap things off my son and I braved the heat and took in a Lexington Legends minor league baseball game last night.

But now I'm a little tired from all of this revelry.  I have a dirty house, laundry to do, etc., etc., etc.  So back to work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Something to think about

Thankful every day