The cut-off point

Had a conversation with my son-in-law a couple days ago regarding his interest in discontinuing cable TV service.  His argument is pretty sound....they can get network TV over-the-air, and most everything else they watch is available either through a streaming service or via DVD.

In my totally unbiased and non-expert opinion, this is an admirable and worthwhile objective.  Unfortunately, though, there are a lot of reasons why I question whether it will work.

Easy to look at your cable bill and then need to reattach your eyebrows to your forehead.  I don't know anyone who doesn't pay what appears to be an obscene amount in order to receive what Bruce Springsteen called "57 Channels and Nothing On."  Why, even my mother-in-law, who lives in a very small town in western Kentucky and has no pay channels, no DVR box, no high-definition service or anything "extra" pays a ridiculous sum each month for so-so channel reception.

So, you have to ask yourself, what's important about MY cable TV package?  For me, the quick and easy answer is live sporting events.  I LOVE the Cincinnati Reds, and LOVE the Kentucky Wildcats, at least their basketball team (football, not so much this year).  Without cable, I wouldn't be able to see most of Kentucky's basketball games, as they'll appear a LOT on ESPN this season, and would not be able to see the Reds but for a couple of times without either having access to Fox Sports Ohio via cable or buying the Major League Baseball TV package for $130 per season (and that ALSO requires you to buy hardware to receive that transmission).

Oh, and did you know that you have to have a broadband internet connection to do most of this streaming that may replace some of your lost cable programming?  If you have DSL or another slower internet service, I understand it won't work.

Believe me, I don't like the idea of paying through the nose to watch television, but when you consider the alternatives (satellite or the method I described above), you'll still pay a fair amount to watch stuff on TV.

Unless you want to just stop watching.  Anyone in favor of that?  Show of hands?

I didn't think so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement value

Latest and greatest

They were right